market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:04:27 -0500

From: "Russell Bryant" <bovagard AT msn.com>

>You think like a farmer. You need passion for farming price your stuff as
if itt is you or the other guy. My wife just read >Gottcha Capatilism The
banks rental card copanies phone co all rip us off legally and get away
wit it . We are selling eggs >for three dollars /doz and people pay it.
goo food is worth moer.
>Russ

How do you convince people to pay more? When I raised my free-range egg
price to $1.50/dz, several of my long-time customers decided they cost too
much (other farmers in the area still sold them for $1.25/dz). I can
charge a premium for my pasture-raised beef...people seem to understand
the value of that, but not local eggs or veggies.

When I sold at the
Farmers' Market, most people came looking for good deals...if we charged
even the same as the supermarket, people wouldn't buy. I often brought
home more produce than I sold.

In another sad twist, I told my egg story
to the head of the local organization who SPONSORED the Farmers'
Market...he said that he paid $2.50/dz for brown eggs (not even organic or
free-range) at the
supermarket...it never occurred to him to go to the Farmers' Market or
otherwise shop locally...and this was the markets' sponsor! He never did
show up at the Farmers' Market; as
far as I know, he still buys his eggs (brought in from somewhere else) at
the supermarket. Sigh.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA