market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:14:21 GMT

Fun? I just spent the last week crawling on hands and knees planting 6000
Cole crops by hand, because the transplanter wouldn't work. Then I get to sit
back and watch 4 inches of rain nearly drown all that hard work. In the mean
time, the rabbits sneak out every time I turn my back and are eating what is
left. I couldn't spray the usual hot pepper spray because it wouldn't quit
raining. Fun? No! This is why it is so hard to make a profit. Add in the fact
that we started this farm with a troy bilt tiller and a riding lawn mower. We
didn't inherit the land, or equipment. We bought the tractors. The cooler.
The cultivators. Every cent we have made over the last five years has gone
right back into the farm. Profitable? We gross 5000 an acre. That takes an
incredible amount of hard work! And good management skills. When one crop is
finished, we have to be ready to replant with something else.
Add in that one has to become an electrician, plumber, carpenter, soil
scientist, tractor mechanic, etc... and, well you get the picture. Not easy.
We do this because we love it. We dreamed of this life for 20 years and now
we are here. We will make it work. Hard work and determination always pay
off. Sure we have to deal with the customers who don't bat an eye at paying
two dollars for a candy bar and a coke and who flip out over paying that for
a head of broccoli but... they will learn.
Carla
Perkins, OK
Click to find great rates on medical insurance, save big, shop here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/REAK6aAXgQRS88Se2yOsfX2KjtyU7gDu9oWlflyTydq25nzTnoR6Ru/