market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: nan3russ AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Markets
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:14:03 -0500

We started in the WIC program this year and found we can not grow enough
although we did increase our crops. The whole point of the program is to
encourage the small farmer to grow more and the WIC recipients to eat
more fresh foods. It has been a learning experience for all of us.
Since we can't grow enough we have been attending a twice a week auction
in the neighboring county and buying from the Amish. We buy directly from
the farmer and can see just how things are grown. No big distributors
selling but they are there buying.
I have a harder time selling my less than perfect organic tomatoes as we
can not give samples, unless we pay the Board of Health an extra $35 a
week for the privilege. Don't have to do anything different, just pay. I
tell people I cannot give them a sample but they are welcome to take a
bite if they wish.
Always sell the organic if they try them.
Lot of backbiting among the vendors since the program started. Anyone
else had this problem?

Nancy Parker,Zone 5
Sulphur Hill Farm Gardens