market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] consumer perceptions, was free range eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Barbara Miller" <barbmill2 AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] consumer perceptions, was free range eggs
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:04:11 -0400

Bill Shoemaker wrote:
"I think consumer perceptions are the biggest challenge for local growers."

Having just started selling at farmers' markets last year, I have to agree with you Bill.   My impression from customers was because we didn't have any middle men or shipping expenses, we should actually be charging less than grocery store prices for our produce.  Obviously we have a lot of educating to do...  Can anyone suggest the best way to go about educating people?  Signs? Handouts?

Thanks,
Barb Miller
Tioga County, PA