market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blue Lake Pole Beens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blue Lake Pole Beens
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:37:15 -0400

I think I may have posted this in the past. I like to get seven foot steel
T-posts and place those about 20 feet apart in the row. Lean the end posts
out from the row about 20-30 degrees and about 6 feet behind that put down
either a ground anchor or a broken off T-post driven deeply into the ground
at a 45 degree angle. Stretch a high tensile wire along the tops of the
posts as high as you can get it. Fasten at the ends to the ground anchor or
to the 45 degree anchor post at ground level. Leaning out the end posts
facilitates the wire making the nearly 45 degree angle bend as it descends
to the ground anchor. Fasten the wire securely with wire post clips. Put a
ratchet tensioner somewhere along the line and tighten it as much as you can
without popping the wire off the end posts. Get sisal fiber baler twine and
cut into lengths sufficient to make drop strings at about six inch
intervals, tied with a single loop to the high tensile wire with enough
length to have about six inches of string lying on the ground. I prefer to
lay either old tomato stakes or metal rebar along the bean row and loop the
ends of the drop strings around it one time with no need to make much of a
knot. I have seen one person tie the drop strings to the base of the bean
plants. It may not even be necessary to fasten the strings at the bottom at
all if you are not in a windy location. Once the beans are running that
takes care of the anchoring of the drop strings. At end of season cut the
drop stings off of the high tensile wire and burn or compost the waste. If
you want to leave the wire in place for another season you can, or you can
roll up the wire and jerk the posts and you are done.

Marlin Burkholder

Thought I'd plant pole beens this year to save my back. Can some of you
recommend a simple way to build something for the beens to climb on? Think
there'll be 4 rows about 250 ft. long.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b