market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Wendy & Randy Gray <hoemangray AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:40:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Sue - we live in a very windy area - known for its windsurfing! So, wind
factors into everything! I have a Caravan canopy I purchased at Costco two
years ago, with bag with wheels and four sidewalls. I rarely use the
sidewalls because with the wind, the sidewalls act as a sail and the entire
canopy, including weights has moved one foot at times! The canopy has held
up very well, but I do put it back in its bag after every use and its stored
in my van when not in use.

I started out with PVC weights filled with mixed concrete. The PVC was 4"
(too big...3" is fine) with caps and an eyebolt through one end. We then used
bungee cords to attach this PVC weight to the canopy top. However, my husband
made them too tall...4' and they put tension on the canopy. So, last year he
poured concrete into 5 gallon buckets and put bolts in them as Errol
describes. We then bolt the canopy leg to the weight. However, remember to
do bolts for both holes in the leg (we didn't and for reassurrance, I wish we
had!).

We also put drawer handles on the weights so we can easily move these around
(even though each weighs about 35 lbs.!)

Good luck!
Wendy in OR