market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blue Lake Pole Beens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blue Lake Pole Beens
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:22:02 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Allan Balliett
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:24 PM
To: Market Farming

Marlin - Nice blog! Just the same, I'm confused about how you do your

trellis. I guess what's got me is 'how do you keep the high tensile

wire high on the posts while it takes the 45 degree angle down to the

anchor?' I take it that you are using those simple t-post wire wire

holders. From you instructions I understand that you do not apply

them until AFTER you have attached the ends. Can you help me here?

Also, your beans + wind are never enough to pull the top wire down?

And, oh, yes, what guage IS that high-tensile wire? thanks -Allan

I clip the 12 gauge HT wire to the tops of the T posts before I fasten the wire to the ground anchors.  I lean the last post in the line towards the ground anchor and run the wire downward at about a 45 degree angle to fasten to the ground anchor at ground level.  Make sure that you have the wire clipped to the end post securely (you may need an extra wire clip and twist them down tightly) because that one will have a lot more downward tension on it when you tighten the wire.  Also I checked and saw this morning that the between post spacing was more like 12–15 feet.  Twenty feet would be a little too far.  With good tension on the top wire, sagging between posts is not a big problem.  I also orient the rows in the direction of the prevailing winds so I don’t often have the wind hitting the rows broadside. Hope this helps.

Marlin