market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] intensive potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] intensive potatoes
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:31:03 -0500

On Jan 11, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Tradingpost wrote:

How do your Yellow Finns compare to the Yukon Gold? We plan to do both this year and Yukon Gold is a real crowd pleaser with its thin skin and buttery taste. And more expensive in stores - if you can find it.

If you can get a crop from Yukon Gold, it has the great advantage of name recognition. I could never get decent production from it, though; and I've heard the same from a number of other people. This isn't a climate problem, or not only a climate problem; Yukon Gold seems to want something very specific about soil conditions, I'm not sure what. Sometimes it wouldn't give me my seed weight back.

If Yukon Gold won't produce for you, Carola might well do fine, and is in my opinion just as good a potato; Yellow Finn is also very good, and has done as well for me as Carola in some years though not others (better once). Unfortunately the customers are less likely to know what they are.