market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:01:12 -0500

From: "Allan Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
> I try to have 'ridge pole high' Divas on the North wall of our 40x96
> hoop house by the first share delivery in the first week of June.
> Last year, we had the vines, ok, but no real fruit until later in the
> summer. I did get more than two weeks off from the initial planting.
>
> What about you?

Last year I planted Soyo Long Asian cucumbers in the greenhouse, which I
operate essentially like a high tunnel all summer (windows open, etc).
They started producing in May and produced like crazy all summer and
through until November. They finally died from a combination of mildew and
the cold. Unfortuately, I didn't set them up so I could 'drop' them, as
someone suggested, so I was climbing ladders into the rafters to pick
cucumbers all summer. BTW, I LOVED these cucumbers. Thin-skinned, sweet,
held up well. They are beautiful, in their own way. My customers seemed
scared to death of them...you'd think I had a pile of snakes on the table.
No accounting for taste!

I planted Diva on trellises outside, and they did horribly. Lots of bugs
and slugs, even though they were off the ground.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA