market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:37:20 -0500

The length of our GH Cucumber picking season [Carmen] depends on our
ability to 'drop' the plants. By this I mean the practice of lowering
the plants, which are strung on a single twine, as the lower cucumbers
get picked off. This has two advantages:
1 it keeps all the growth training and picking at a height that it can
be done standing up; a rare luxury. And 2.. the stem that ends up laying
along the ground can be covered by a fresh dose of compost which keeps
the plant actively growing. We only do this if we can keep the cucumber
beetles and therefore the Bacterial wilt out. By mid October our CSA
members have had it with Cuc's. anyway and the space is better used for
establishing winter crops. We also 'drop' GH Toms given half a chance.
David