market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Cucumbers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:19:55 -0600

4-6 week in HT in spring and fall (disease and temps control exactly how
long), 4-5 weeks outdoors - a dry summer allows us longer, but cucumber
beetles usually eventually slow down production enough that a fresh planting
gives us better picking. We'd rather turn a crop under and start picking a
new crop than do a lot of spraying for fungal disease. So we seed flats for
transplant about every 4 weeks all summer - same with summer squash. Even
if it is still "producing", quality of a new planting is superior.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm