market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:47:47 -0400

Why should non-organic seed produce safer food? I just
can't think of any conceivable reason why this should be so.

Isn't the simplest answer to this that, by definition, organic seed is non-GMO but non-Organic seed MAY BE GMO and we don't know enough about GMO crops to know if they are good food for man or beast in the long run?

On the other questions: organic seed tends to be heavier than conventional seed. It produces are more robust seedling that needs less assistance from sprays, amendments, etc.