market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 09:41:25 -0400

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 22:23:06 -0400, you wrote:

>I love growing tomatoes, especially those grown from seed,
>but you see what I've been up against. Tell me where I can
>buy organically produced seeds that stand a chance against
>the myriad fungus types that seem to dog my every step, and
>I'll immediately reactivate my
>membership in the
>I Love Tomatoes Fan Club
>of which I was a charter member.

I grow tomatoes from seed every year. Many of the tomato
seeds I use are organic (some I save myself). I never have
a problem with them.

I can't believe your problem stems from the seeds: I think
it must be from growing conditions - potting soil, degree of
watering, humidity, etc.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that it is the potting
soil (growing media). Are you using sterile soilless mix?

Pat

-- northern Pennsylvania