market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:43:40 -0400

I can't believe your problem stems from the seeds: I think
it must be from growing conditions - potting soil, degree of
watering, humidity, etc.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that it is the potting
soil (growing media). Are you using sterile soilless mix?

Pat

I would like to second Pat's suggestion that the seeds are probably not the problem. I grow hundreds of tomato plants every year from non-organic seed without having a problem. Soilless mix is essential.
It is important that flats, cell liners or whatever the seeds are started in must be absolutely clean as well.

Soil should be moist but not saturated. If you can grow in direct sunlight that helps prevent fungus, if under lights it helps to make sure the surrounding are clean.
Good luck
Joe