market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:09:37 -0400

Marty - Once you have used organic seed produced by an organic seedsman (from a small seed supplier), you won't ask this question again. It's vitality speaks for itself.

Furthmore, recent studies from Virginia Tech indicate that a seed contains within it's layers the microbes necessary to innoculate the soil for it's best growing conditions. This cannot be found in seeds that grew from sterile soil nor will it be found in treated seed. A real bonus that noone is charging for currently!

And, above all else: we've got to remember that we are a movement working to recreate a non-toxic world within a very small share of the total economy. It's really important for those of us who see the importance of organic food production to pass on our energy (in this case dollars) to support each other when we can and to not allow ourselves, out of convenience or misplaced frugality, to rationalize spending money in the shallow and toxic economies.

I'm sure there are other and better reasons, of course! -Allan

Does anyone have a reference to a site that has a good discussion on the
reasons for using organic seeds? Has there been one on this list? When?

Thanks

Marty Kraft