market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jeez...beezzzz!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jeez...beezzzz!
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:42:25 -0400

On Aug 6, 2005, at 5:58 PM, sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

Anyone out there have any good organic solutions to extreme bee activity?
I've got yellow jackets EVERYWHERE. I pulled some weeds last week and
disturbed a ground nest and within seconds got stung 12 times. I've lost
close to half my raspberry crop to bee frenzy. I've set up the yellow
jacket traps with 0% success........HELP!!!!
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics

If there's a problem with one or a few nests is in a spot where you can get them wet, you can take a hose and flood them out. They don't seem (here at least) to connect the person behind the hose with the downpour, and wet ones can't fly well enough to attack you anyway. You'd probably have to do it repeatedly.

This won't help much with a general overpopulation as when they finally give up on the flooded spot they'll just move elsewhere. Skunks will eat ground bee nests, but I don't know how to attract one to do this (and you'd have to hope it went quietly away again when it was full, which is likely but not certain. If it moves into your packing shed instead you have a different problem.)

Good luck --
Drought, right now (or at least what we call a drought in this part of the country)