market-farming - [Market-farming] Japanese beetles... wow!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Japanese beetles... wow!
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:33:08 -0500

In one week the leaves on okra and pole beans have
gone from green and thrifty to half-skeletonized
in appearance.... due to Japanese beetles.

Earlier this season neighboring farmers had all
agreed that Japanese beetle numbers were
down this year.

The situation changed quickly between July 23rd
with zero beetles, to a massive attack by July 28th.

I picked off a quart of beetles on 100' rows of okra
and pole beans on July 28th, then left for a 4-day
weekend.

Upon my return earlier this week it was an amazing
sight.

The Japanese beetles were having an orgy,
with 10 to 30 beetles on one okra leaf.

All in all it is an amazing observation to think
that in the history of farming and gardening in
this region... until 5-6 years ago... neither okra
nor pole beans would ever have a pest problem
so severe as to require intensive scouting,
constant hand picking, or full-scale spraying for
bugs.

Okra was for all practical purposes a pest-free crop....
until now.

If they are as bad on blueberries as I hear, that blows
out another pest-free organic crop, as well.

Neem oil is often mentioned as an organic control
and anti-feedant, however only somewhat effective.

Does anybody have experience with a truly
effective knock down for organic growers?

Steve Diver
Northwest Arkansas