market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Betsy Knutson" <betsy AT gobigwest.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:42:46 -0600

Marcy,

If the seeds were saturated and had swollen with moisture when it got down
to 30, they could have been damaged by ice crystal forming inside the seeds.
If the were on a bench where the air temp was low all around them, they
would have been more susceptible to freezing. Seeds that are stored in the
freezer or refrigerator have a much lower percentage of moisture, optimally
around 8% or less.

If they got cooked (over 95 degrees IIRC) that really cuts down on the
germination rate.

If you have more seeds, I'd definitely start the next batch. I've actually
had seeds that were old or had problems of some sort sprout as much as three
weeks later, so I would not toss the first ones just yet. They have had a
set back and some may yet sprout. It probably depends on your space and your
time constraints, and whether or not you have more seeds of those varieties.

Betsy (betsy AT gobigwest.com)

Southern Idaho, USDA Zone 5

This isn't Burger King! You can't have it your way!