market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:42:30 -0600

Thanks Shelly!
The winds the day we lost it were reported at 76. I imagine you get the same
types of gusts if you're SE WY- those front range treats!
The layout is 30x96, the hoops are 40' long, 2" PVC schedule 80, spaced 5'
apart. The PVC is set over 1" steel pipe that was jackhammered into the
ground. We used 2x10" boards along the sides and the plastic wrapped both
layers together around 1x2" firring strips screwed into the 2x10s. The ends
we did of wood (4x8' exterior masonite siding sheets) to help stabilize the
whole structure. 3/4" swaged conduit for purlins - 2 rows on each side. In
the center are about 8 heavy timbers that have a 1" steel pipe "T" up to a
center pipe going lengthwise of the structure and each 2" PVC rib WAS bolted
through the steel pipe. I say was because the bolts snapped off....
I had 4 straps over both layers of plastic. I tend to think the straps
should have been attached differently. They were fastened under the 2x10
boards on the side and around the pipe inside the board.
Some think the wind got under/inside and some think it sucked the opposite
side up...
I appreciate any insight, ideas or suggestions!!
Marcy