market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting-tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting-tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:52:15 -0400

I use a double shop light fixture put about 1" to 3" above the plants. I do not use any special lighting such as one "cool" and one "warm" bulb. I do try to get the seedlings out into natural light (cold frame) ASAP which in FL would be as soon as they germinate and show any leaves.

Here in Ohio I generally get my tomatoes out into cold frames by mid April. But this season I have yet to start my tomatoes and plan on doing a very late crop for the hoophouse and 'maters in November when no one else has them and they can fetch a very nice price. last year we could barely sell tomatoes in July trough Sept. since every vendor and almost every customer had lots of 'maters. Probably will start my seeds for the main crop after mid May so they can get in the ground before late June

lucy Goodman
Boulder belt organics

Peter Mattli, D.D.S. wrote:

Pat has to be right. How can you argue with success, especially
30 years of it. My input was based on 30 months (not years)
of moderate success plus whatever comes from reading five
books on growing tomatoes from seed. So now a question for Pat:

Pat, I am using a single-tube flourescent light source, but will soon
change to two tubes w/large reflector. How does that compare with
what you use and what do you recommend as an optimum light source?

Pete Mattli