market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:06:13 -0400

People in our small town expect the local
businesses to make donations to every club, sport, or class fund raiser,
then the same people who've asked for money, turn around and drive twenty
miles into the larger town to buy groceries, get gas, fill prescriptions. I
just don't get it!

As a former small town small shop owner, I have to concur with the above.
It never ceased to astonish me: EVERYONE seemed to think that we were loaded and had some obligation to support every activity in the school system and in the environment. In reality, few of the shops on main street, including our own, were able to pay the owners a living wage. Yes, it was an labor of love. And yes, it was very seldom that any of the people collecting donations had ever been seen in the shop as a customer.

And so it goes.

-Allan