market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: DreamThymeFarm <dreamthymefarm AT zoominternet.net>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:35:04 -0400

I am a first time poster here, so if I send it to the wrong address, I apologize =)

Brigette,
I loved your post!
I have been reading these posts and I have been fascinated by everyone's responses.
I am a market farmer. I raise so much that I won't bother listing it all here.
What I have found that makes small farmers prosper is community. A good sense of community, with educated people.
My husband works 1 hour away and I am the farmer here. We farm 75 acres.
If you don't have a good community, start one. We did. There is a group of us who not only started a farmers' market, we have expanded to start 3 more. We started a church, a community volunteer/outreach program and it not only is hard work, but it starts to roll once it starts. It is overwhelming how many people want to be part of a group with a purpose. There are so many people looking for healthy food and lifestyles for their family.
Sure, there are always going to be the people who want the cheaper food, but once you educate them that your eggs are better for them than factory farming, and once they realize that this is the 'new' IN thing (hey, some people are lifetimes behind, its OK;-) then they can't get enough! It is kind of like loading a pig on a trailer. You let them think that they came up with the idea and it works.
Sure, I support small business as much as I can. I drive the extra distance to use certain family owned places. I buy items at Walmart. I try to keep in mind when I am in that store, however, a statement made at a sustainable agriculture conference that I went to. "Give to your local farming group to keep them alive. How many of you spend an extra $50 in Walmart and don't think twice?" It is about making conscious educated decisions. And making statements on eating wonderful homegrown organic salad greens with a homemade ginger shrub dressing to someone that is standing beside you at some public function. And when they ask where you buy those greens, you sell. And when they want to know where, you ask if they are interested in attending a farmers' market.
The only rebuttal I have here Brigette is the redneck comment. You may see me out, driving the farm truck, with my baseball cap and long blond hair tied in a ponytail and my boots and overalls on. The truck has some redneck stickers on it. My children may be dirty by playing the dirt and with the animals all day. And I realize that I have to run to the store. I don't care what people think about when they see me. I am college educated, and had a career that allowed me to drive a SAAB, wear Talbots suits and live in a big Surburban area for a while. I sold it all to buy my farm. I am following my dream. Is the person who sizes me up and down following theirs? I sure hope so =)
Lynne