market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asian marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asian marketing
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

Mayapple Farm and Gardens wrote:

> But, being the hillbilly that I am, I know almost
> nothing about what specialty produce might appeal to
> these shoppers. If I had to guess, I would say that
> these are likely to be Korean and Vietnamese women,
> since this market is close to Fort Knox and there are
> a lot of retired military in the area. What crops
> should I be looking at?

Make it easy on yourself.

Take a couple of seed catalogs with
photos of various Asian species along
with you to the next market and approach
as many Asian shoppers as you can at
the time (at least fifteen or twenty) and ask
them what items in the catalog they would
like to see, especially those items which
are not available now.

If you only get one or two requests for an
item, plant it lightly and see how it sells.
If you get unanimous desire, plant some more.
Judge your pricing based on potential demand.

Good luck,

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming