market-farming - [Market-farming] Asian Produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Asian Produce
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:55:19 -0500

This is a bit unconventioonal but I know of at least one alternative farmer
who does great business selling live tilapia fish to oriental customers for
$3 apiece.. Regarding greens, I would go to your local Asian markets to see
what they are carrying. I was in one this week and they had yard long
beans, thai basil, cilantro, oriental cucumbers and little round eggplants,
pea leaves, bitter melon, etc. One issue with greens is whether you can
compete with the rock bottom prices that these grocers charge. There is a
good Asian Forum over on www.gardenweb.com.
> But, being the hillbilly that I am, I know almost
> nothing about what specialty produce might appeal to
> these shoppers. If I had to guess, I would say that
> these are likely to be Korean and Vietnamese women,
> since this market is close to Fort Knox and there are
> a lot of retired military in the area. What crops
> should I be looking at?

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] Asian Produce, adriana, 08/03/2003