market-farming - [Market-farming] Remay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Remay
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Amazing how much wine I had to drink that year to get those bottles.
> Cases
> and cases. Maybe that is why I was a happy market farmer in those days?
>
>Adorable......

In answer to the question What is Remay. Remay is a brand name for
floating row cover. It is made of spun polypropaline (sp. ?) like the old
technical ski underware. It comes in different weights. Here in the
North, zone 4/5, it has completely changed my gardening possibilities. It
is very lightweight, like gauze, allows 80% sunlight penetration, and
breathes, that is allows moisture to pass in and helps to hold it in. It
is said to protect plants down to 28 degrees. I've actually been able to
hold tomatoes down to 27 with a double layer. It comes in long rolls in
varying widths. One common way to use it is to bend #9 wire into big
crocet hoops over the beds and attach the remay with clothes pins. The
big advantage is immediate removal after a frost is not necessary because
it breathes. It is also used to protect a crop from insect damage.

  • [Market-farming] Remay, sora, 08/03/2003