market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asian marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asian marketing
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 09:20:03 -0400

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 05:54:43 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>But, being the hillbilly that I am, I know almost
>nothing about what specialty produce might appeal to
>these shoppers. If I had to guess, I would say that
>these are likely to be Korean and Vietnamese women,
>since this market is close to Fort Knox and there are
>a lot of retired military in the area. What crops
>should I be looking at?

I think browsing through Evergreen Seeds' catalog (or
website) would be very helpful to you. (I like a paper
catalog, myself.)

http://www.evergreenseeds.com

Another source of Asian veggie seeds is Kitazawa.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/

They don't have an online catalog, but will send a paper
catalog. Their prices seem higher than Evergreen's for the
most part, but they have some useful seeds not carried by
Evergreen.

As to growing the Asian veggies, I've found Joy Larkcom's
book 'Oriental Vegetables: The Complete Guide for the
Gardening Cook' to be absolutely invaluable.

She's British and doesn't really understand US climates
(none of the British do, in my experience) although she's
made an effort to do so, but the book is *STILL* invaluable,
IMHO.

You can buy this book used. I got my copy from Half.com and
found it by using this book-search site:

http://www.addall.com/used

They have it listed for prices starting at $8.00.

A lot of the Asian veggies are brassicas, and are mainly
spring-and-fall crops - this is nice because you can use
their place for summer crops.

Pat