market-farming - [Market-farming] small tillers vs hoe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] small tillers vs hoe
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:50:42 -0500

Regards to the list:

I am tired of hoeing between plants by hand. It's wearing me out. I am
thinking of getting one of those small tillers like a Mantis or
something similar. Does anyone have any experience with those and would
care to give me advice about what or if to buy? I wonder if one would
get just as tired lugging it around. I am using a plain old hoe that I
got at Walmart - well, it has a fabulous yellow fiberglass handle -
perhaps a different kind of hoe would be better? I've seen all the
different kinds of hoes offered at conferences and shows but I don't
know which kind to get. I'll bet one of my books has information about
hoes, but I'm just too tired to get up and find one. One of the things
I like about hand-hoeing is the quiet. One can hear the birds sing, the
wind rustling the leaves and the soft scuffling sound of the hoe going
through the soil. A tiller would ruin all that, but maybe I would have
time to sit in the shade and listen to the birds sing and the leaves
rustle?

Marie in Missouri