market-farming - [Market-farming] Another new member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Another new member
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:17:45 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry to hear about all the rain out east. We're
pretty wet here in Kentucky, but have had several
opportunities to get a few things out.

My wife and I are raising about four and a half acres
of vegetables and herbs on our farm in west-central
Kentucky. We strive to grow for flavor by using
heirlooms or exceptional hybrids because we feel that
folks who go to the trouble of making an extra stop at
the farmers market deserve the quality they won't find
at the supermarket.

Building the soil is our highest priority. Without
healthy soil, high in organic matter and beneficial
soil organisms, plants will not be as healthy and will
depend on chemical fertilizers and pesticides to
survive. I probably spend as much time in a year
making compost as I do any other single activity. Our
philosophy is to try to exist and farm in as
sustainable a method as possible. We are in
transition from conventional power to horse power and
biodiesel. We are not strictly organic growers, but
do what is best for our situation, both economically
and environmentally.

We farm or manage close to 100 acres, producing
vegetables, grass and alfalfa hay, a small amount of
tobacco, and a flock of registered Shetland sheep. We
keep several horses and have goats, llamas and
chickens for food and pleasure. That's probably about
as long an introduction I've ever made, so I'll shut
up now.

Oh, also another subscriber thanks to the Johnny's
Seed electronic newsletter.

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki