market-farming - [Market-farming] kiwi-sex and culture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] kiwi-sex and culture
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 01:51:16 -0000

From: jama <jkjackson AT icx.net>
please explain how to tell male from female (kiwi)

From: "Trish and Joe Useldinger" <jeusel AT ix.netcom.com>
I live in phoenix, az and have access to higher elevation land that does not
suffer the extreme heat of the valley desert. Can this type of hardi kiwi be
grown out here; how tolerant to salt is the plant?
To jama: As far as I know, you can only tell during flowering; the male
flower has only stamen while the female flower has both stamen and pistils,
and has a larger, bulbous base at the flower (viz. the ovary, which when
fertilized will become the fruit); in this case, the cliche about a picture
being worth a thousand words is so true.

To Trish and Joe: I don't know for certain about the high desert or about
salt but a couple of thoughts: (1) the hardy kiwi originated in cool,
somewhat moist conditions, climbing as fast as it can to the top of a forest
canopy (not likely in the high desert), needs well drained soil, and does not
tolerate high winds; (2) I'm not aware of commercial production of fuzzy
kiwi in such conditions (hardy kiwi and fuzzy kiwi share many cultural
requirements); in fact worldwide, fuzzy kiwi have been overplanted and many
marginal areas have actually been ripped up, for production of something more
profitable, so at least as determined by market forces, high desert and/or
alkaline soil don't seem favored (which is not too say that one shouldn't
experiment, or take market forces as the ONLY value).

Fred Crowley
Weathersfield, Vermont