market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: kathie loftis <kloftis1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks so much, Vint, for your great advice.  I didn't know the treated timbers would leach arsenic into the soil.  We have one bed now that we have our granddaughter's cantelope planted!!
Katherine

Vint Lawrence <vlawrence AT nets.com> wrote:
Kathie,
If, by "landscape timbers" you mean "treated" (green color), be very
careful. CCA treated wood contains arsenic salts and this can leach into
your garden beds. Organic rules prohibit CCA treated timbers or wood
within 25 feet of plants. If you mean railroad ties, these are creosoted
and have equally nasty, though different, toxins.
There are several alternatives that can work to limit rotting.
Use untreated cedar for framing the bed. Or at the very least, paint the
timbers with a durable non-toxic paint before installing them.
Or make the beds from straw bales. This has several advantages - a soft
place to sit while you work/weed, a great interface zone between the
soil and the bale that attracts worms, and can also grow edible
mushrooms. When the bales need to be replaced( 1-2 years), you can use
them as mulch and the bed soil can be moved at that time if you want to.

We use waste cardboard boxes and old feed bags as a weed preventing
layer and then cover them with a straw or woodchip mulch. Over time, the
soil organisms feed on the cardboard and break in down into soil. It
saves the landfill and returns the cellulose back into a natural system.
Hope this helps.
Vint Lawrence
Apache Creek Ranch Permaculture (Land restoration)
Santa Fe, NM
and
Land's End Farm (Certified Organic)
Chestertown, Maryland