market-farming - [Market-farming] landscape timbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] landscape timbers
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:20:37 -0700

Greetings.......someone mentioned they used landscape timbers for raised beds - conventional timbers are pressure-treated - hope the ones mentioned are not, as they do leach arsenic, though I guess exact extent of harm not proven.

In setting up new raised beds for the university's medicinal plant garden, we decided against regular pressure treated timbers because of the leaching, and ordered the new less-toxic ACQ lumber.

The cost of ACQ timbers is probably prohibitive (because of the shipping) for market farmers, but I do worry about regular pressure treated timbers used in vegetable/herb production.  However, I would guess that even the ACQ stuff is not allowed under organic regs.  One 4 x 4 12 foot timber costs $11.15

If anyone is near Fayetteville, TN  that is the closest supplier I found for us in Mississippi and you would save a bunch in shipping.  Didn't check suppliers for rest of nation.

nan j
dancing goats farm
n.mississippi zone 7b