market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:12:33 +0000

Hi, Kathie!

Two problems we had with our raised beds: First, I conceived a neat design
where the beds were oriented in different directions. BAD! Mowing between
them took forever! So after a year I tore them all apart to give the mover
straight shots between inline rows. Second, GOPHERS came up and made mounds
inside the beds. So now our new beds have a chickenwire gopher guard
underneath. I held my side boards in place with driven 1x2x24 stakes, a
minor
problem when mowing because you have to clear the stakes, and THAT leaves a
narrow strip of grass to clear with the weed whacker. So far, i'm just
living
with that!

Dave Campbell
Tiffin IA