market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Woodyou" <woodyou AT hiwaay.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Beds for growing
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:50:22 -0500

Katherine:
You may want to use caution with landscape timbers considering the recent limitations on the use of treated Pine, due to its arsenic content, until a new treatment is approved. I generally use rough sawn Cypress or Cedar, obtained from local small portable sawmills, cut to the dimensions I need. Both have lasted well and are environmentally friendly. Both are generally slightly more expensive than landscape timbers, but less expensive than treated Pine dimension lumber, and I've found the portable sawmills cutting logs that were headed for the landfills from tree service companies, so that's kind of environmentally friendly too.
Hank