market-farming - [Market-farming] Introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Merle Herrmann" <JAN1MERLE2 AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "market-farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Introduction
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:49:39 -0700

Hello List:
My name is Merle Herrmann, I live on the Oregon south coast in Coos
Bay/North Bend. I became aware of "aquaponics", specifically the S&S system
designed by Tom and Paula Speraneo in January of 2001. By November of that
year I had constructed a 20'x28' greenhouse here on the property and stocked
it with fish in December. I have been selling produce and fish to the local
health food stores, restaurants, and individuals since. This greenhouse was
built as a prototype, my partner and I are now in the process of obtaining
funding (USDA Rural Development) to construct a commercial production
facility. This facility will be built in the Eugene area of the Willamette
Valley, here in Oregon. We made the decision to set up there because of the
availability of a much larger market. I spent most of my working life on the
ocean as a commercial fisherman, and have no training whatsoever in
greenhouse operation or aquaculture so as you may well imagine, this past
two years has been an almost vertical learning curve. Absolutely
fascinating. I just became aware of the market-farming list, subscribed and
am excited about being a list member as I feel marketing is the single most
important element of success in this type of business endeavor.
Regards to All, Merle