market-farming - [Market-farming] new to list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Whitney" <mary AT whitneysorchard.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] new to list
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:42:26 -0700

Whitney's is located in Eastern Washington State. We are on the dry side of
the mountains and we are actually in the low foothills here. High desert
country. I found this list in my surfing around looking for some kind of
information, but I cannot remember what it was anymore =:>

This will be our 5th year of Farmer's Market with primarily fruits and
vegetables. We started 5 years ago with a specialized apple variety,
Tsugaru, and have branched out just a bit from there. This year we are
probably close to 7 acres in that bit. the plots are spread all over the
farm, where ever we have a piece of open ground and we've even encroached on
the neighbors property..with permission of course =:>
We have veggies, melons, peppers, berries (blue/black/rasp/straw) as well as
cukes, tomatos and eggplant that we are harvesting now in the greenhouse.
Most everything we plant is on plastic mulch with queen gil drip tape. Last
year we bougtht a mulch layer, which was one of those GREAT investments as
far as saving time. We tried zip houses this spring, and are looking into a
large hoop house for next year.

This year we are trying to be able to take rabbit fryers to market. We will
also be marketing other pieces of rabbit as doggie/kittie jerky as well as
tail cat toys. Processing dried apple to sell is also on our list.

I still work away from the farm, but only part-time as of this spring. Hope
that changes yet too =>

Mary Whitney

--
www.whitneysorchard.com