market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advertising
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:31:09 -0500

I think some farmers resent the time, effort and money it takes to
advertise--it's a term that smacks of 'big business' and 'city people', but
until we get our heads out of our butts and see that customers will not
magically appear like the Lucky Charms leprechaun we'll still be in a pickle
as to making a living on our farms. This is all that Jay is saying. Having
seen both sides of the coin, I fully support Jay's posts--even if he isn't
farming--his logic suits all business, but I for one am thankful he's chosen
to support market farming.

As a former business owner (small that grew huge), we (ex & I) went from
"creative" (meaning no money) promotion our first few years to tv/radio/full
color glossy newspaper inserts targeted by zip code with a budget equaled to
our first year salary. Having money opened up all sorts of possibilities
for advertising & certainly made it easier, but it was the creative
promoting in the early years that opened that door for us in the first
place--and frankly, the creative promoting was alot more fun--it put the
"face" on our business. But as the advertising budget grew, the "face"
shrunk...something I regretted & customers missed. (Everything I learned I
transferred to the farm.)

Something else I learned is that promotion and advertising aren't the same,
and you can get alot more bang for the buck if you concentrate your efforts
on promotion, and not just standard advertising. Rick W. mentioned the hair
dresser who advertised in rural newspapers & was disappointed at the
results. It was a mistake. Be prepared to make mistakes!! Promoting your
farm products is just like another crop--it may fail, it may struggle, or it
may take off like the dreaded mother-in-law's prized zucchini....

Promotion/advertising can't be just a one time thing. It has to be steady.
People don't want to support fly-by-nights. They may buy from us
impulsively once, but what we're after is repeat/steady customers...it takes
less effort & money to keep a customer than to win a new one. Your
advertising and promotion should be divided...what are you doing for your
repeat customers?? You don't need to advertise to alert them to new
hours...that should be a direct communication....but for new customers, what
can you do?? The $700 figure bantied around sounds enormous...but I'd bet
Beth would do that all over again if she had to because she got such a
positive response--was that a one time thing?? Sure. But it was such a big
bang it continues to keep rewarding because her CSA is still going....the
$700 she spent is pennies compared to the amount of business she has gotten
and maintained from that one-time effort.

Using Adriana's figures of >>12-16 weeks out of the year, with average
sales per
vendor of MAYBE $500-600.<< 12 weeks x $500 sales =$6,000. Of that
$6,000, 5% would be $300...what can you do for $300??? That may not sound
like alot...but it's a start.

If you've not done so by now, I urge you to join the nearest Chamber of
Commerce. I know...some are good ole boy networks...but that's exactly what
you want!! Win the business people & you'll reach the public alot faster.
The networking, contacts, news (before the public gets it...new restaurant
opening--sell to the chef, new hotel--sell fresh flowers for the lobby, new
clothing store--fresh flowers for windows, new factory--deliveries to
employees, special events--hook up with the caterer)...too many
opportunities to list. A bargain for your membership fee.

If your business--farm is healthy, you should be able to handle the
increased business....as you have more to sell, your advertising/promotion
budget increases, and as your expenditures to promote the farm increase,
you'll have the revenue to increase plantings, labor, etc. There is a
balance, just as in everything else on the farm.

Advertising/promotion should be right up there in the budget just like seed
orders. which I'm off to finish. uggh.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC