market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:16:59 -0600

"Lets face it, most people who sell at farmer's markets do it primarily for
the enjoyment of doing it, not for the money. That doesn't mean they don't
do it at all for the money, but you have to like doing it. It would not be
possible to define a hobbyist at our market since you have such a wide
spectrum of sellers. The concept of a hobbyist is more in the mind of the
individual, and I would not want anyone else to judge such a thing."

I think that if you aren't doing it for a living then you ought to get out
of the way of the good meaning people who are.

Give it away on street corners, donate it to the Salvation Army, ask Habitat
for Humanity if you can provide food for their efforts.

But don't fool yourself into believing that you are running a business.

A business will only survive with profit and a livable profit.

Otherwise, you must have someone providing your money to go on and do what
you love the best... giving away what your soil and hard work produces for
less than what it is worth.

Del Williams