market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] child labor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] child labor
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:43:54 -0800

I remember one day a few years back when because of circumstances it was
myself and my youngest son harvesting. I was so focused that I barely
noticed the hours going by. About dusk my son told me (who was 14 at the
time) he just had to stop. I REALLY looked at him and realized that he had
put in a 14 hour day with a short break to eat mid day, without one
complaint.

Childhood in this country is a priviliged and special thing and I want as
many children as possible to experience it. My son's childhood is almost
over and while I want him responsible and he needs to work to afford his
"lifestyle" I want him to have time to just while away, socialize and play.

From that day on, no one unless they volunteer willingly, works more than
eight hours a day on the farm. That really has been the way I've organized
the farm from the beginning, but that one year when we did not have the help
I pushed things without realizing how far I was going. Now I am adamant
about it.

My son informed me at the end of last season that he was no longer going to
work on the farm. He is looking for work elsewhere. I'm going to be sad to
lose him as he has grown up on the farm and has a gnostic knowledge of what
happens here and why. I have a great group of employees but there is
something wonderful about watching your children farm.

He has high aspirations of working in some cool boarding shop, listening to
great music, and wowing the girls. More power to him.

Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation Wa