market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] child labor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Palmer <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] child labor
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:49:18 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
Interesting topic and comments. I grew up on a farm,
worked hard and sometimes really got tired of it. But
what do I do now? Farm. Our children (all 4) help us
immensely, but they don't have to work as hard as my
wife and I. We pay them the same as we would have to
pay anyone else, give them extra bonuses in busy times
and we remember that they are kids. They also have the
option wether they want to work or not, but it doesn't
take long to appreciate having their own money to
spend that they worked hard for, in other words they
don't spend foolishly like a child whose parents give
them money or anything else they want. My son
graduates from High School this year and while
deciding if collage is next or a "real" job, he wants
to work on the farm this next summer. That tends to
tell me we've been doing something right.
Don Palmer-western NY
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.palmersfarm.com