market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] child labor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] child labor
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:59:11 -0600

Del Williams wrote:
> Why should farmers be exempt from child labor guidelines?
Sustainable farming has to include new generations of farmers. Folks who have launched into farming from a different background are to be admired and encouraged, but if we're going to escape becoming a net food importing nation, farm kids also need to be encouraged (in every sense of the word) from early on with appropriate kinds and amounts of work that will gradually teach them responsibility, safety, profitability, stewardship and a host of other values.

Disclosure statement: I don't actively farm right now -- just garden -- and don't have children. I still think my observation is accurate.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7b