market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Making money from farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Making money from farming
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:35:58 -0500

Nice!
The only additional points I would make are:
That in the real world the input curve is seldom smooth. i.e. that a
purchase of new equipment, for instance, puts a spike in the input
curve, and a corresponding spike in the capacity to generate volume lags
behind while the new investment is integrated and, at the outset, is
under utilized. In other words your graph has three axis, the third
being time.
This is exacerbated by convenience purchases [not on my place you say;
what about the A/C in the cab, green mower deck when the no name brand
cuts the hay just as well or solar charger because you 'like the idea'?
Everyone has them but you will need a neighbor to point them out] that
have to be paid for but produce no capacity to increase volume or
quality, or decrease costs.

That most direct market farms are not producing commodities [ or at
least not marketing them through commodity channels ]or participating in
subsidy programs.

The question of scale is not just one of profit, it is also a question
of 'quality of life as defined by myself.' We are often faced with
several scenarios that produce roughly the same 'profit' but have wholly
different outcomes in terms of quality of life. E.g. one low QoL [for
me] = spending most of my time managing employees and sitting in front
of a computer screen as opposed to a high QoL = working the fields
myself along with my children. For another person the reverse might be
true and is just as valid. The important thing is to know what your life
goals are or you will end up in a situation you never wanted that no
amount of profit will justify.
David Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.