market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] child labor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] child labor
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:18:54 -0600

Leigh,

I believe that commercial fishing is the one at the top of the most
dangerous occupations list.

Yup, I've seen some of the press on dangers to children who assist in
farming. There are dangers and don't we all know it? Operating heavy
equipment.. that can flip over, catch on fire, etc. Working around
chemicals. Grain bins. Working around large livestock. Etc.

Even adults who are experienced at farming have accidents and are killed.

While I hate to see this sort of thing sensationalized, it isn't an entirely
unreasonable concern. Child labor issues do come up in 'home based'
businesses such as farming. Why should farmers be exempt from child labor
guidelines?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL