market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Making money from farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Making money from farming
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:00:56 -0600

Barb Birkinbine wrote:
> [...]
well worth the wait. The market may have a waiting list, but you can come
in as a seasonal vendor and reduce your waiting time. So, reduce your
season to spring or late fall in order to get a seasonal pass to attend the
market, then after one year of doing this you can attend as often as you
want.

=====

I know a number of folks from our area do go there. But I think that the
main one that gets to go to the Capitol Square is the rather large CSA
operation. I know some of the newer and younger folks are at one or more of
the others. There is a Midvale Blvd one I think and seems like they
mentioned one more. That would get you more toward west town and a lot of
yuppies. There is the one near the Mariott (former Holiday Inn) but I can
not remember the name of the bldg they have it near but it is something like
"international" or such.

But these are very upscale areas. My brother lives in West Town. A few years
ago we stopped at a PDQ to get gas and as we approached we saw the Wisconsin
Public TV head, even noticed his license plate. Later on I mentioned this to
my brother and he said, "oh that guy, yeah, he lives across the cul-de-sac.
We had a barbecue this summer. What was it you said he did for a living?"
The incomes of many of these folks is truly amazing.

Anyway, Lodi would be a decent location for a farm due to its close
proximity from the big city and yet pretty much still a rural area.

Do you know if they do allow the sale of meat at any of the Madison markets?

Sincerely,

Rick W.