market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] was lady bugs, now bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim & Nancy Carey" <cedarinfo AT cedar-guild.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] was lady bugs, now bees
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:24:19 -0800

>We also buy bee's every spring for pollinators, don't worry about the honey, just need the pollinators.
Phil
<

I mentioned I'd like to get some bees to an friend and she warned me to make sure I "ask" the bee keeper neighbors.  These "neighbors" are about 6 or 7 miles from me.

Do bee keepers have territories..or something like that?  'n if I got some bees, would I upset these neighbors?

Rosie..Black Hills..South Dakota

Rosie,

Bee keepers do not have acutal marked out territories, but know that their bees will work a 3 square mile radius from the hives. It is not considered good form to encroach onto that 3 mile zone. In general, as long as you try to keep the bees as healthy as possible, neighboring bee keepers are usually good neighbors, even to coming to work your hives if a sudden illness hits at a crutial time.

Phil,

Have you considered using mason bees or other alternative pollinators? You might find that a bee keeper in your area would rent you hives or would come pick up your hives when you are through pollinating. It seems sad to just let them go after they have done their job. Because of the poor pollinating season in Calilfornia, bee keepers are getting about twice the money for the honey, compared to a year ago. Just some ideas. If anyone wants specific questions answered contact me off list at cedarinfo AT cedar-guild.com and I'll try to get answers for you. Nancy