market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] lady bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] lady bugs
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:50:02 -0600

Ken, we've had the little darlings for several years now, and we still tend
to have lots of aphids on early- to mid-fall plantings. Lettuce, spinach and
chard seem to be thriving now, though.(We've only gotten down into the upper
20s a couple of times so far, and my lean-to greenhouse isn't covered yet.)

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi

Ken Bezilla wrote:

> On a different note... this was the first year that MALBs (Multicolored
Asian Lady Beetles, the ones that migrate indoors in the fall) showed up in
our area. Don't know if it's a coincidence, but we had NO aphids on our
fall lettuce this year. (Still had them on our rutabagas, but not as bad as
usual.) Anyone else notice reduced fall aphids from having MALBs around?