market-farming - [Market-farming] lady bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] lady bugs
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:20:55 -0800

Although I have ordered lady bugs from Gardens Alive, and they came alive,
etc., the salesperson did not have enough technical and practical
information to satisfy me. I don't plan to use them again for biocontrol.

I have had great, intelligent service from The Green Spot on several
occasions and highly recommend them because they know EVERYTHING about each
biological control, including when NOT to use the critters, and HOW to use
each one in a manner that will achieve your goal(s). In otherwords, it is
usually not just a matter of releasing the insect and the problem is
resolved.....there are alot of considerations, which suppliers like Gardens
Alive are evidently not competent to help you think through at all, whereas
the Green Spot will brainstorm on the phone until they are satisfied they
are selling what will really work -

Their biocontrol manual is excellent and well worth the $10 - it is a thick
volume FULL of photos, life cycles, pages of check list questions that help
you think through exactly what is going on, and ALL your options (which
include NOT purchasing biocontrols)....they work with farmers and are VERY
aware of the bottom line, financially........they want us to make money, not
just buy their product!

You can call them (in New Hampshire, Eastern Time Zone) at 603-942-8925 - I
don't know their web site address (I couldn't find it via Google, but then I
always call them to talk over the situation before ordering). This company
really believes in customer satisfaction (and no, I am not getting any
rewards for plugging them, even though they ARE yankees! But you can tell
the owner, Mike Cherim, that nan sent you, he will get a chuckle!)

nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7b