market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Keeping qualities of squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Keeping qualities of squash
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:07:33 -0500

I used to grow and store a little over an acre of butternut in my area of the
country it was very unprofitable. I would wash all fruit cure them at 80
degrees then store them in wood 20 bushel bins at 50 degrees. Rats would get
into bins sooner or later and make a real mess of things,as would rotten
fruit, you need a good sense of smell when you store squash, I would sniff
each bin every day for problems. I would store until early spring without
much trouble, I guess I could have stored them longer if need be.I found that
butternuts of any variety stored the same. Acorns never seemed to last as
long but I have less experence with acorns...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/