market-farming - Finding a farm dog. . .

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Maroc <maroc AT islandnet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Finding a farm dog. . .
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:00:14 -0800

Marie, we have a four-year-old neutered male Pyrennes and I can repeat
everything you say about them. Never mind training them, they know their
job. We're on Vancouver Island and have no coyotes. There are a few wolves
but the biggest problem are roaming dogs. I happen to see him go after one
that came on our place. I thought he was in trouble because he didn't
attack head-on but with his head lowered to the ground. He grabbed that
dog's front leg, dumped him on back and had him by the throat in a wink. He
drew some blood but didn't kill him. I haven't seen that dog again. He
even knows whose livestock belong here. He's run off neighbours' horses,
goats, and an angus bull. With the horses he knew enough not to nip at
their heels, instead he jumped up and bit them on the flank. I'd never have
any other breed on the farm.

Don Maroc
Vancouver Island