market-farming - Re: Finding a farm dog

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shirley C" <bitbybit AT eoni.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Finding a farm dog
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:45:49 -0800

I have a Great Pyrenees. She runs off everything including the magpies. She can have chickens and all the other farm livestock around her, but any feral animal or strange dog is history. If your place isn't fenced, GPs will try to guard the whole county, so they are not a good choice in that respect. They are hard to train as they are focused on guarding all the time. Her eyes are searching constantly. She is loving-just hard to train.
I love Border Collies and cattle dogs, but having had one, I agree that they are born to work. When my chickens are all in the hoop houses, I plan on getting another one. For a cattle dog/border collie, chickens are just the "amazing 2 minute toy".
Shirley
Mark & Shirley Champion
Bit By Bit Farms
Summerville, Or.
Morgan and Thoroughbred Sport Horses
Pastured Poultry and Grass Fed Beef

  • Re: Finding a Farm Dog, Marienne Kreitlow, 11/12/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Finding a farm dog, Shirley C, 11/13/2002