market-farming - Re: Finding a farm dog. . .

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Finding a farm dog. . .
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:54:30 -0600

We have a purebred female Great Pyrenees. She belonged to a family in
the city and was confined in a small run. She barked all the time and
the neighbors complained so much they had to find her another home.
They put an ad in the newspaper. She and I really clicked when I went
to see her. They ended up just giving her to us along with her dog
house and food.

Minnie was 2 years old when we got her and had never been unleashed.
She went nuts when we turned her loose on the farm. She ran and ran and
ran. She knew what to do without any training. Well, apparently she
had obedience training - will "sit" and "stay." (barely) But on her
own, she keeps deer away, and eats possums that get in the chicken
house. She scares away strangers who wander here looking for who knows
what but is friendly to people we know or whoever belongs here. Her
relationship with the sheep is strictly business. She keeps coyotes
away, lets kittens sleep with her when it's cold and loves for anyone to
pay attention to her. I've seen her let kittens share her food. She
doesn't hurt the chickens but will run them off if they want her food.
The first Pyr we had killed chickens and geese. She is beautiful and
sweet and we love her. She has worked out better for us than the male
Pyrenees we've had. She stays home and we like for her to bark.

I understand there are many Pyrenees in rescue situations because people
in the city have gotten these adorable little polar bear puppies and
they turned in to huge dogs with minds of their own. They're just not
suited to life in the city.

Marie in Missouri